How to Cite a Dissertation in Chicago Format?
Chicago format usually uses the footnotes for a dissertation. Moreover, it contains two formats such as the name of the author and date, which uses citation of text and footnotes or endnotes are used by the bibliography. Citing a dissertation in Chicago format is quite a difficult task but it becomes easy when you understand all the concepts of it.
Citations for the author’s name and date are commonly used in the field of science and social science whereas citation for a bibliography is used in areas like art, psychology, and history. These both styles look so similar but selecting the one for your dissertation is your choice. Let us quickly learn how to cite a dissertation Chicago format?
- The first and essential aspect of Chicago format is that you have to put the name of the author and the date or the publication year in that place where you wish to cite. Moreover, you can write the name of the organization if you forget the name of the author.
- In your text, if you already put the name of the author, then there is no need to write the name of the author in the citation.
- If you try to put more than 2 or 3 names of the different authors then always use a comma after writing the name of each author. Moreover, while writing the name of the last author, then you doesn’t need to put comma just write the date of the publishing year.
- When you are adding more than four authors’ name, then it is better to use short form of the first name and write the last name with the publishing year. If there are two authors of the same first name, then try to write the initials of them.
- If there is more than one publishing of the same author in the same year, then always try to put letters after the publishing year.
- When you are trying to put multiple citations in one column, then it is better to use a semicolon after writing the name of one author and the publishing year.
- While citing a specific paragraph, then it is essential to add page number at the end of the section. If you are trying to add general information, then there is no need for adding a location.
These all are the essential points to understand the basic concepts for how to cite a dissertation Chicago format.